The James Madison Museum
features exhibits on James and Dolley Madison, featuring one of the
nations' most outstanding collections of Madisonia. The focal point of
the Madison Room is Madison's favorite chair, a campeachy chair given
him by his good friend, President Thomas Jefferson. Also on display are
a number of personal items, papers and furnishings.
Thomas Jefferson called James Madison
"the best farmer in the world" and to pay respect to Madison
the farmer, the Museum's Hall of Transportation & Agriculture
displays an interesting collection of antique farm tools. Also featured
are a 1924 Model T Ford, a 1931
Seagrave fire truck that began its career in Orange County, and the
Arjalon Price House, a 1733 "patent" or "cube"
house. The "Price House" is only partially reconstructed so
that visitors will be able to see the building practices of the day.
The Museum also features a small gift
shop where items related to James Madison and Orange County may be
The Museum building was built in 1928
as an automobile dealership. The Powell Nash dealership opened that year
and sold the Nash line of cars. Adjacent to and owned by the museum is
former Hill Top Restaurant which was formerly a gas station and later
converted to a restaurant.